How to make friends?
Have you experienced difficulties getting close with others? Are you shying away from people’s company or just value your alone time but still crave meaningful human connection? Here are some things you can do to improve your social skills and befriend easily those whom you like.
- Be genuine. The most important thing in any future relationship is honesty and openness. Even if you doubt the high value of your personal qualities, let the others choose for themselves what friends they want to be surrounded with. Allow yourself the luxury to shine with your own light and you will draw the right people to you with your unique personality and special disposition.
- Be reliable and generous. One should always consider the interests of those that they care about. Give friends your time, attention and helping hand. If somebody knows they can lean on you in time of hardship, then they will count on you and regard you as a true friend. Give and support are the two essential ingredients of building trust, the most vital cohesion of any relationship.
- Stay loyal. There are billions of people in this world and too many of them are highly interesting and attractive. It is normal to be drawn to popular and extraordinary people but do not let your friends down because you have found somebody new, only to realize that they were a short-lived, temporary fascination. If you betray a friend, the trust could never be restored in its initial state. Meaningful relationships grow in time and only they stand to its test.
- Criticize and support. A real friend will always slam you with the truth and never speak of your faults behind your back. Criticism is a part of every mature relationship and the other should understand that only a true friend would criticize because they want to help and consider options of improvement. Support your friends in their time of making hard decisions and be there when they are at their lowest. Having fun means you do well together, but surviving the storms of life is what makes you real friends.
- Listen and show care. Sometimes all a person needs is a warm hug and the ear of a good listener. Advise them only when they ask. Do that for your friends and that will consolidate your bond even further. Be there when they say they need you. One proves their worth by acts and not by words of care. Demonstrate your friendship to the world with pride!
- Learn to forgive. We all make mistakes; that is human nature. If the intent was malicious and to a harmful effect, no one should be forgiven, but if they meant no wrong, then a true friend is to show understanding and acceptance for the mistake when there is repentance and willingness to change. All friendships hit a moment where the ability to forgive is tested and if not developed, that beautiful connection will dissolve.
- Have fun together. Friends share their wildest thoughts and deepest secrets because they have been through everything together. But the most significant sign there is a genuine friendship is the natural inclination of people to spend time together simply because they enjoy it! When you find those who make your heart sing, do not let them go! They are the hardest to find. True friends are never too many and are the biggest treasure one can have.
So find them, keep them and enjoy their precious presence!
This is how you make friends!